Apple iPad 2
Apple launched it’s second tablet, iPad 2, as successor to gadget of the 2010. Dubbed “post-PC products” Apple treated it as such packing a punch as leader in the tablet industry calling out competitors as “copy cats”. With the new tablet came thinner, lighter, faster, ships with iOS 4.3 and FaceTime, two cameras, has Smart Covers, comes in black and white colors, AT&T and Verizon versions, available March 11th, and starting at $499. We’ll cover each in the order!
Thinner, Lighter & Faster
The iPad 2 features new design; it’s 33% thinner from 13.4mm to 8.8mm (the new iPad 2 is thinner than your iPhone 4). It’s lighter at 1.3 lbs from 1.5 lbs. It’s faster with A5 dual-core processors for up to 2X faster CPUs, up to 9X faster graphics, with same low power as A4 present in original iPad. Without sacrificing battery touting dual-core power it still receives up to 10-hour battery life… impressive!
iOS 4.3 & FaceTime
Latest platform software iOS 4.3 and FaceTime video calling software (early iPad owners would frown yet rejoice at this) is coming to iPad, iPhone (GSM), iPod touch (3rd & 4th) by March 11, 2011.
As you know there are companies whose business model exists for making 3rd party covers and accessories for Apple products and Apple just may have squashed out their market share. Smart Covers are… well… just plain smart! You have to see the video, however, it’s ingenious how they simply snap unto the iPad with magnets. They fold to prop the iPad up in both typing and viewing positions plus wakes & sleeps the tablet, and cleans the screen! Available in many colors in polyurethane or in leather; Poly cases are $39, Leather $69.
iPad 2 Specs
A few powereful specs to note are:
- 1GHz dual-core Apple A5 custom-designed, high-performance, low-power system-on-a-chip
- 9.7-inch (diagonal) LED-backlit glossy widescreen Multi-Touch display with IPS technology.
- 1024-by-768-pixel resolution at 132 pixels per inch (ppi).
- Fingerprint-resistant oleophobic coating screen
- Back camera: Video recording, HD (720p) up to 30 frames per second with audio; still camera with 5x digital zoom
- Front camera: Video recording, VGA up to 30 frames per second with audio; VGA-quality still camera
- Bluetooth 2.1 + EDR technology
- Three-axis gyro, Accelerometer, and Ambient light sensor
- Video mirroring and video out support: Up to 1080p with Apple Digital AV Adapter or Apple VGA Adapter (Dock Connector to USB Cables sold separately for $39)
Price & Availablility
Available March 11th (not in April as expected) starting at $499. I really love how Apple and Google/Motorola take shots at each other in their grand-stand product unveilings. Apple struck back at Motorola with this, “Now some folks are out there saying they’re only a little bit more expensive than us. When you look at this matrix, five of these six are less than $799“. Taking a shot at Motorola XOOM first Android Honeycomb powered tablet priced at $799.
For pricing matrix below:
|16 GB||32 GB||64 GB|
|WiFi + 3G||$629||$729||$829|